Today we'll be discussing the PCR software versions that are currently available for the BAX® System Q7 Instrument. If you're using the BAX System and the associated kits, we highly recommend that you are always on the latest software available, which currently today in August of 2022 is software version 4.22.
You may be on an older version, but we highly recommend that you update as soon as possible; you will want access to all the features and benefits that are currently added.
A Brief Version Recap
Our software versions are 3.6., 3.7, 4.0, 4.21, and the most recent 4.22.
- 3.6 and 3.7, are both available for Windows 7 and Windows 10.
- All software versions after 3.7 will ONLY be available for Windows 10.
- If you're on 3.6 or 3.7, the value of upgrading is that you are getting an enhanced mathematical engine, new user interface applications, new export options, calibration improvements, installation improvements, troubleshooting, and error reporting as well as some new assay targets.
- If you are using a Windows 7 computer, we can upgrade to Windows 10. The upgrade includes a smaller computer unit that takes up less space in the lab, as well as the security features with Windows 10.
How'd we get from 3 to 4?
We upgraded our mathematical engine in 4.0 to MATLAB 2020, which allowed us to dive into machine learning algorithms.
- Machine learning algorithms are fantastic because it allows more flexibility and enhanced training of algorithms.
- Machine learning algorithms “think” on their own when we're developing, and they train towards a wide variety of results, creating serious robustness in our interpretations.
- With BAX, we have over 20 years’ worth of data across many different validations and matrices to build and train our algorithms!
What's New in the 4.2's?
With our most recent software version launches, 4.21 and 4.22, we have even more exciting features! Some of those features are instrument communication improvements:
- The BAX application not only runs the instrument but also communicates the results, which is unique to some of the other vendors, where they have two applications to run the instrument and communicate the analysis. We do it all in one package to ensure every step of PCR is logged and represented in the result interpretation.
Three main features for 4.21:
- Messages and confidence levels provide the user with more information about what is going on in the result.
- This means that the specific component result is compared to the accuracy of the algorithm built off of thousands of data points. Every result does have its nuances and are a little bit different, so treating them as individuals is important, then we have all the power of the data we've utilized to compare to that result to generate a confidence level. It all kind of flows together with machine learning.
- We also reorganized the software versioning. Not only do you see the one big package number, but we also have different version sets for each “bucket” that make our software work. Those buckets are:
- BAX System, Bridge, SDS, and Analysis (Check these out in the About Dialog)
- This way we can provide user interface features, error logging, or troubleshooting tools faster to our customers.
- Wrapping up 4.21 top features is our flexibility in data analysis. If you are a BAX® STEC Screening (KIT2021) or a Real-Time E. coli O157:H7 (KIT2000) user, we now have single component options for analyzing.
- These kits have multiple components; now you can analyze only stx, only eae, or only S-Target. This provides flexibility if you're researching process control to dig into specific groups of organisms.
The New Kid on the Block…4.22
The features we have in 4.22 combines essentially everything packed in 4.21 with the inclusion of 7 new PCR assays from foodproof® and microproof®.
(Need to catch up on Hygiena's new brands? Check out the PCR Portfolio Blog).
- BAX users that upgrade to 4.22 have the added value of 7 additional assays within the same software and instrument. We've generated a ton of data for these assays and created machine learning algorithms, so the user can utilize the algorithms to assist with the continued visual result interpretation for foodproof assays. (Find out the assays on the 4.22 features page!)
Upgrade Your Software
The bottom line is that we want you to upgrade to our newest software. We’ve worked so hard listening to your needs that we want you to use the best options we have 😊
If you do have any features that you love or would like to see, please contact us, and help us continue to engineer excellence in our software.
Stay tuned to Hygiena to catch what we launch next and download your PCR software solutions!